Friday, June 17, 2016

Member Profile: Getting to Know ....


the Club Secretary - Cathy Cates


How/When did you get interested in photography?
I have always enjoyed taking photos of family and friends and throughout the 70’s I carried my little Instamatic with me everywhere I went. Along came the age of digital, and in 2003 we bought our first digital camera – an Olympus C750UZ - which we shared the use of, until 2005 when hubby graduated to a Nikon D70 and I got ‘sole custody’ of the Olympus.

What do you shoot with?
I now have a Nikon D3100 & D5100. I use both cameras regularly with several different lenses – a 50 mm, an 18-200 mm and a 55-300 mm.

What is your favourite subject, and Why?
I love taking photos of flowers, insects, animals, sunsets and reflections. I love the challenge of getting a good sunset shot – the scene can change so quickly.

What is your most memorable photographic moment?
My very first Scott Kelby World Wide Photo Walk in 2011 – I re-connected with a former work colleague, Paula McManus, who suggested I join the PACC – and the rest, as they say, is history.

What is your favourite image, and Why?
A photo taken with an old film camera – a Ricoh – of the Roulettes performing at the Adelaide Grand Prix in 1994. It was the first time I used my husband’s camera and I had to wait a week for the photos to be developed! This shot was the last shot in the film, and possibly one of the last shots in the camera as I was getting a ‘low battery warning’. Please forgive the poor quality of the image, it is a scanned copy of the print (complete with dust spots which I will eventually get around to removing)
Roulettes at 1994 Adelaide Grand Prix

1 comment:

Please fee free to leave a comment