Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Getting to know ....

David Archdall

When did I join PACC
I joined shortly after I entered the Port Festival Photo Challenge in 2015. I didn’t join because I wanted inspiration but to learn from likeminded people. I am a “doing” sort of person and I can read all the books in the world or devour all the photographic articles on the internet but I need most to just get out there and shoot with others (or on my own)

What got me interested in photography
For my 21st birthday present my parents gave me a Mamiya DSX 1000 (still got it) and I used that camera for some years but when I became married and kids came along the photography waned as life gradually got in the way. Then about 6-7 years ago I rekindled my interest and got back into it but in a much bigger way than when I first started. Everything was manual when I kicked off and I really feel that having had that early grounding with manual apertures, shutter speeds and “ASA’s” I was able to have a great head start back into photography

What do I shoot with
I shoot with a Canon 5D Mk3 and a Canon 7D Mk2 and for a camera to carry in my pocket 24/7 I have a Canon G5X. For glass I have mainly Canon L series – I also use some Sigma and also Samyang brands as well

What is my most memorable photographic moment
In October last year I was asked by a friend to help shoot a small event on King William Road. So I turn up with a 17-40mm and a speedlite – It turns out to be the Variety Club Bash big Lunch with 100 tables and over 1000 attendees and a 150 meter runway and fashion parade with 60 models and people clambering to have their photos taken everywhere we walked. We had a blast but I have now learned to ask more questions about what I am getting in to.

What is my favourite subject/image and Why
This is the hardest question ??
I like almost all subjects and will shoot anything that takes my fancy. My favourite image is one I took coming back across the gulf from Black Point last year on my boat. I love the shot because I took some shots from the boat that were a disaster so I packed up my gear and put it below – and then I decided to give it just ONE more try so I reset my gear and this is what I walked away with- somebody once said to me “The harder you try the luckier you get”. If you want to see what sort of shots I take go to my site on 500PX – https://500px.com/archie99



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please fee free to leave a comment