Sunday, August 28, 2016

Getting to Know ....

David Sandison, Committee Member


What got you interested in photography?
My interest in photography  turned from family “happy snaps” to more seriously considered photography during the latter part of 2009. It was at about this time that I planned to retire from full time work (this took another 3 years to eventuate) and thought combining photography with my love of the out-doors (bushwalking, walking, canoeing, cycling and geocaching) would be worthwhile pursuit for  my retirement  spare time.

What do you shoot with?
My camera of choice is an Olympus OMD EM-1   :12-40 f2.8, 75-300 f4.8 -6.7zoom, 7-14 f2.8 wide angle and 60mm f2.8 macro lenses make up my camera kit.

What is your favourite subject/image, and why?
This photo was taken from Counts Point on day 5 of a 13 day walk on the Larapinta trail. It had been a long slow walk up to this ridge and lookout point, the view impressed me so much that a return “day walk” and overnight camp to photograph a sunset and sun rise is on my bucket list.
(Larapinta Trail a walking trail in the West Macdonnell National Park, west of Alice Springs, Northern Territory)

How long have you been interested in photography?
My earliest recollection of an interest in photography is of when I was about 10 years old, I had a plastic toy camera with only a few setting, if any. I shot black and white prints more from the cost factor than any artistic merit, when after careful subject selection – pocket money had to be managed carefully-I would eagerly wait for my prints to be collected from the Chemist. Sadly those masterpieces have been lost in time.
A hand-me-down camera, a Minolta, kept my interest alive. Now I was able to take slide photos and display them, for all to see, on the lounge room wall. Some years later I, came into the digital age with an Olympus C-480 camera and a few years later a Nikon COOLPIX, both pocket size point and shoot cameras. Soon a dSLR was a budget consideration and decided upon a SONY Alpha 330, I was happy with this camera but after 4 years an upgrade was evident.

What is your most memorable photographic moment?
I was very happy and proud to have two of my landscape photos, taken from the top of Dutchmans Stern (The Dutchmans Stern Conservation Park - west of Quorn) included in the 2nd edition 2014 Explore the Flinders Ranges.
A holiday with friends to Coobowie on York Peninsular gave me the opportunity to take a winning photo. PACC Projected Photo of the Year 2015 titled “Waiting” finished off a memorable photographic year for me. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please fee free to leave a comment